This hamburger soup recipe is one of my favorites and a staple in our home. It is SO EASY to make and very forgiving depending on what you have in your fridge. When my husband and I got married, he had never heard of hamburger soup before, and yet it is so tasty and cheap that it didn’t take much convincing. This is a hearty soup with a tomato base and lots of variations. You only need a few ingredients and whatever veggies you have on hand in your fridge! Don’t forget to pin this to your recipe board!
Hamburger Soup Recipe Ingredients: Just a Few Things.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 3 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- frozen (or fresh) green beans (1 cup ish)
- corn or peas (3/4 cup ish)
- 1 large can (28 oz.) of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c. barley
- 3 Tbsp. Beef bouillon
- 2 cloves of Garlic (fresh, powdered, prepared, whatever you’ve got!)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Don’t be afraid to get creative with what you have in your fridge. We’ve been known to add in some fresh cabbage, kale, red pepper, etc.
Hamburger Soup Recipe Directions: 45 minutes from start to finish!.
You’ll need to give yourselves about 45 minutes from start to finish for this soup, an hour is even better.
- Fry your hamburger with garlic, onion, salt and pepper in a large frying pan or dutch oven.
- Using your dutch oven or large soup pot, add a can of diced tomatoes, about 6-8 c. of water with bouillon, and all your veggies.
- Add your barley, give it a good stir and turn it onto medium-low heat. Cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Adjust your water/flavor. Add more water or add more bouillon or salt/pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm buns, biscuits or salty crackers.
This soup is a big win for the kids too! This recipe will make enough to feed 8-10 people with leftovers for a lunch or two the next day! Don’t miss my bread recipe to go along with it or my bread machine recipe if you have one!